Gilcrux is a small village and civil parish in the Ceremonial County of Cumbria, England. Formerly part of Cockermouth Rural District Gilcrux is now part of the Borough of Allerdale. The village is on the south bank of the River Ellen around 5 miles (8 km) north of Cockermouth and around 37 kilometres (23 mi) southwest of Carlisle the County town of Cumbria. The name Gilcrux comes from Welsh meaning 'Hill Retreat'. An early record of the village is shown on a map of the Cumbria area by Christopher Saxton in 1567, in which the village is known as Gilcrosse.