Isle of Wight steam railway - leaving from Wootton station
Cycling Isle of Wight - Whippingham to Wootton - Whoosh!
Wootton Bridge - Havenstreet Railway
00412 IOW Steam Railway - 41298 at Wootton Station
Whippingham railway station was arguably the most underused station on an often sparsely used network. Built solely because of the need to have a station within close proximity to Osborne House, it is known that Queen Victoria did use the station on at least one occasion, on 11 February 1888, when she travelled from Whippingham to Ventnor and back for the opening of the National Consumption Hospital there. The station is also known to have been used by the young Lord Mountbatten. In its early days its passenger carrying status was ambiguous and, although always clean and tidy, never very busy. A passing loop was added in 1912 and indeed was retained for a further three years after closure in 1953. Trains continued to pass through the station until the line was closed in 1966. The station house, now a splendid private dwelling, still stands with the only other building within any sort of close proximity being the Island crematorium.