The North Dakota State Normal and Industrial School at Ellendale was a state-supported institution of higher learning located in Ellendale, North Dakota. Provisions were established for its creation at the North Dakota Constitutional Convention in 1889. The school's original name was the State Manual Training School, and this is reflected in the large molded concrete marquee on the west end of the campus Armory building, which reads "MTS." In 1907, with permission of the state legislature, the school's name was changed to "State Normal and Industrial School" and the term "SNI" was adopted as a moniker. In playful style, Students and staff soon adopted the word "Snitcher" for themselves. The yearbook was the first of many to be titled "The Snitcher."