Nottingham Carrington Street railway station was the first railway station in Nottingham, opened in 1839 by the Midland Counties Railway. Initially there were two lines with a central platform as well as side ones according to Billson. Victorian civil engineer Francis Whishaw described the station as: "The elevation next to the road to Nottingham is of plain but neat design. It consists of a central portion and two wings; the central portion contains the entrance hall, which is of the whole height of the building. In the right wing is the booking office for first and second class passengers, with windows at which the passengers receive their tickets; the third class passengers obtain their tickets at a counter fixed in the hall. In the left-wing is the boardroom and clerks offices; and in a building projecting towards the passenger shed in the rear is a waiting room for ladies. The [train] shed is covered with a light iron roof in two spans, which is supported on the departure side by a brick wall, in which there are eight windows; and on the arrival side, and along the middle line, by two rows of cast iron columns, nine in each row."