A kayak trip to the Isle of Pladda lighthouse, Arran
Nikon P900 - Dunure, Scotland - Lighthouse of Pladda and Northern Ireland [01/12/2016]
Ailsa Craig - Lighthouse
The Lighthouse Church Troon Christmas Service 2011
Pladda Lighthouse is an active 18th century lighthouse situated at the southern end of the island of Pladda. The lighthouse dates from 1790 and was designed by Thomas Smith. It was the first light on the Clyde to be commissioned by the Commissioners of the Northern Lights. It had both an upper and a lower light to distinguish it from the three other lighthouses in the Firth of Clyde. In 1876 Pladda was about the third station to have a foghorn. The 'double lights' were replaced by a powerful flashing system in 1901. Lightkeepers were withdrawn in 1990 when the lighthouse was automated; it is now remotely monitored from the Northern Lighthouse Boards Headquarters in Edinburgh.