downtown R train at Rector st from uptown platform
Rector Street was a station on the demolished IRT Ninth Avenue Line. It was built in 1874, and had two tracks and two side platforms, though two additional tracks ended at a bumper just south of the station. It was served by trains from the IRT Ninth Avenue Line, and was one block west of Rector Street El Station on the IRT Sixth Avenue Line. In 1918, the IRT extended what is today known as the Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line from Times Square down to South Ferry and built their own Rector Street Subway station as one of the stations, serving as competition for the Ninth Avenue Line station. The el station closed on June 11, 1940. The next southbound stop was Battery Place. The next northbound stop was Cortlandt Street for Ninth Avenue Line trains.