2018 Update on the Bilbo Mound - The Lost Civilization Beneath Savannah Georgia
Ocmulgee monument could triple in size
The hundred degree Savannah river slate
The Rembert Mounds (9EB1) is an archaeological site in Elbert County, Georgia in the area that is now under the Clark Hill Reservoir on the Savannah River. The last excavation of the site occurred just before the reservoir was built; Joe Caldwell and Carl F. Miller conducted the excavation during a three-week period between January 12 and June 1, 1948. However, they are not the first people to examine the site. William Bartram first described the mounds in 1773 as: "an imposing group of one large and several smaller mounds standing adjacent to some extensive structures [which he called tetragon terraces]." In 1848, George White claimed "the smaller mounds had been nearly destroyed." Then, Charles C. Jones, Jr. stated that "only traces of the smaller mounds remained and the tetragon terraces were no more than gentle elevations." Less than 10 years later, in 1886, John P. Rogan excavated part of the site under Cyrus Thomas and found only the largest mound and one of the smaller mounds still standing. Rogan's excavation was the last before Caldwell and Miller's excavation in 1948. However, there was a flood in 1908 that almost completely destroyed the large mound.