MUDPORT, Taylor Island - MUDPORT Invitational 2020
Taylor Island is the largest in a group of seven islands located between the Eyre Peninsula mainland and Thistle Island in the mouth of Spencer Gulf, South Australia. It was named by British explorer Matthew Flinders in 1802, after the loss of William Taylor, a midshipman and master's mate to John Thistle. The remaining islands in the group are also named after lost members of Flinders' expedition: Little Island, Lewis Island, Smith Island, Hopkins Island and Grindal Island. Taylor's Island has been used principally for the grazing of sheep while its surrounding waters are well regarded fishing grounds.