Bankside Power Station is a decommissioned electricity generating station located on the south bank of the River Thames, in the Bankside area of the Borough of Southwark, London. It generated electricity from 1891 to 1981. It was also used as a training base for apprenticeships from all over the country. It trained both craft and engineering students using specialised machine shops for the training. Since 2000 the building has been used to house the Tate Modern art museum and gallery.