Mercy Hospital and Medical Center is a 292-bed general medical and surgical Catholic teaching hospital in Chicago, Illinois. Established in 1852, The hospital was the first chartered hospital in Chicago. In 1859, Mercy Hospital became the first Catholic hospital to affiliate with a medical school—Lind Medical School—and the first to require a graded curriculum. Today, Mercy Hospital and Medical Center is part of a nationwide network of Mercy Healthcare facilities. Mercy also is the hospital used by the Daley family: all of their children were born there. Mercy sold a plot of land to the north of their hospital for 60 million dollars in 2008. It is also the main women's cancer center in Illinois. It accepted patients from Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center and absorbed the ambulance routes when the hospital closed in 2008. Mercy follows Catholic teaching but does give birth control to rape patients.